- Experience the great nightlife in the El Vedado district.
- Visit the famous Hotel Nacional and refresh in the beside pool
- Visit the the Colon cemetery with its impressive graves
- Walk down the important Calle 23 street and enjoy the elegant architecture
Sights in Vedado
Originally Vedado was nothing more than a forest where a Count owned a few parcels - a closed area "zona vedada". However, the picture soon transformed and quickly the region blossomed. Vedado district of Havana with many galleries, theaters, parks and museums. A walk through Vedado is one of the most beautiful experiences one can do in Havana. Don't miss it under any circumstances.
The most famous Hotel in Cuba
In 1998 this hotel was declared a national monument. This beautiful building was erected in 1930 with the use of stylistic elements of the Art Deco, the neoclassical and neocolonialism and has an H-shaped floor plan. It is one of the most popular buildings in Havana, where many celebrities from the arts and politics - not to mention the Mafia - have spent the night.
Hotel "Habana Libre"
It was built as one of the most prestigious hotels "Hilton" - the "Havana Hilton". The name changed after the 1959 revolution. The building has 25 floors and is a masterpiece of modern classic architecture. The beautiful 670 m long wall paint is the work of artist Anlia Pelaez.
The "La Rampa" is a stretch of "Calle 23", between Calle L" and the "Malecón" beachfront. It is a lively area that serves as a meeting place for many "Habaneros". Here you’ll find concentrated offices, restaurants, radio stations, cinemas and art galleries. You can find the famous "Hotel Habana Libre" and the biggest and most famous ice cream parlor in Cuba: "La Coppelia".
By night this is the place to go: Numerous nightclubs, bars and discotheques will invite you to party in Havana.
University of Havana
Founded in 1718, it is the oldest university in Cuba and among the first in America. The statue that presides over the staircase was made by the Czech sculptor Mario Krobel, who chose a young aristocratic woman of the era as a model. This work is known as the "Alma Mater" and is the landmark of the University of Havana.
- Anthropological Museum - "Museo Antropológico": Displays an extensive collection of artifacts and objects from the pre-Columbian period.
Museum of Natural History - "Museo de Historia Natural": Hosts a large exhibition of mollusks, insects, fishes and fossils.
The waterfront of Havana
The "Malecón" in Havana is one of the most famous and photogenic waterfronts in the world and extends over 8 km from the "Castillo de la Punta" to the mouth of the river "Almendares", the border between Vedado and the district of Playa & Miramar. Here you will find important monuments and buildings of the city and for the "Habaneros" this is a special place to meet with friends or with the partner to enjoy the refreshing sea air and the impressive sunsets. Sights by the "Malecón" waterfront of Havana:
- Monument "Antonio Maceo": established in 1916 for one of the greatest generals of the Cuban war for independence.
- Monument "Calixto García": inaugurated in 1959 in memory of another hero in the Cuban struggle for independence.
- Memorial to the victims of the "Maine": The explosion of American warship "maine" used the U.S. as a pretext to intervene in the Spanish-Cuban war. The memorial commemorates the victims
- Place of the Anti-Imperialist Tribune: This large square, opposite the U.S. Embassy is used for political campaigns, concerts and demonstrations. The sculpture represents José Martí.
- "Edificio Focsa" building: It is considered one of the most outstanding Cuban architecture. Its construction was completed in 1956 and counted as the second highest in the world. A masterpiece of modern engineering in this time. It has 39 floors and is divided into three main parts. Although it is a residential building, you will find as well restaurants and cafés, shops, offices and TV studios.
The sometimes-glorious architecture of the grave plants makes this place well worth a visit. The cemetery "Necrópolis de Colón" is a protected monument of Havana.
House of the Americas
This is one of the most important cultural institutions in Cuba. It was founded in 1959 with the aim of promoting and developing cultural relations between the people of Latin America and the Caribbean. Provides various literature prizes in Latin America. It has an art gallery and a bookstore.
Decorative art museum
The National Museum of Decorative Arts features eleven exhibit halls with 23 collections, consisting of 35,000 exquisite pieces of Rococo style, Oriental and Art Deco.
Unique in its topic in Latin America, the museum has 4 floors with a permanent exhibit of more than 7,400 pieces of the Napoleonic era with some personal belongings of the Emperor. Furniture, weapons, costumes and artwork.
Museum of Dance
Displays various objects related to the history of dance in Cuba from the 17th century until today. The rooms are dedicated to the National Ballet, the Russian Ballet, Spanish Dance, Modern Dance and a special room dedicated to the life and career of Alicia Alonso.
Fun, Leisure and Sports in Vedado
Visit the most famous cinema in Cuba and watch one of the movies (often in English). An architectural gem.
Hotel pool "Hotel Nacional"
On hot days you will love this place. Have drink and refresh yourself in the pool of the "Hotel Nacional". Even as a non-hotel guest, you can use the pool area and the sun loungers for a reasonable price. The price includes a tasty hamburger on the pool bar.
Cultural "Fresa y Chocolate"
Center for filmmakers in Havana. There is a café, full of props from the Cuban movie "Fresa y Chocolate" by the director Tomás Gutierrez Alea. For cinema fans a must.
Restaurants & Paladares
As expected, there are numerous restaurants and private "paladares" in Havana Vedado district. From fast food restaurants, like "pan.com" up to restaurants with French cuisine, serving excellent fish dishes, everything is represented. The private restaurants - the so-called "paladares" in Havana are increasing in popularity and offer a pleasant alternative to the government-run restaurants.
Of course, as well in Vedado Havana you can have your meal in your "casa particular". This costs about 7-10 CUC / person (without drinks).
Restaurant "La Roca"Popular and traditional restaurant in Havana Vedado. Since the fifties this place offers delicious dishes with fish and meat. Be surprised by the decoration.
Restaurant "Unión Francesa"Exquisite French restaurant in Havana Vedado. Located in a stylish colonial villa, the menu includes very good dishes in a delightful atmosphere. There are tables indoors and on the terrace.
Paladar "Le Chansonnier"This paladar restaurant promises innovative food in a stylish setting. The menu features seafood and meat dishes. A highlight is the duck ("pato a la casa").
Paladar "Los Tres Mosqueteros"Good Cuban fare (Creole cuisine), but also seafood at reasonable prices.
Bars & Clubs
Around the party zone "La Rampa" there is a plenty of nightclubs, bars and discotheques. Salsa, Boleros, Reggae or house music invites you to party in Havana.
Piano Bar "Delirio Habanaero"This bar is located in the "Teatro Nacional" and in the evening you have a great view of the brightly illuminated "Plaza de la Revolución". Cocktails, comfortable chairs and good, Cuban music ("Nueva Trova", Rumba and Salsa). A good choice!
"Opus Bar"Lounge bar upstairs in the "Teatro Amadeo Rolán". Great place to enjoy a drink in an intimate atmosphere.
"Cabaret Parisien"Great Cabaret Show, and a lot cheaper than in the famous "Club Tropicana" in the Miramar district. The "Cabaret Parisien" is located right next to the "Hotel Nacional".
"1830 Club" by the waterfront "Malecón"This popular Salsa Club you find shortly before the tunnel leading to the Havana Miramar district. Every weekend many people fill up the dance floor on the terrace, moving to the hot salsa rhythms.
- The most famous Hotel in Cuba
- Hotel "Habana Libre"
- Nightlife district
- University of Havana
- The waterfront of Havana
- Old cemetery
- House of the Americas
- Decorative art museum
- Napoleonic Museum
- Museum of Dance
- Cinema Yara
- Hotel pool "Hotel Nacional"
- Cultural "Fresa y Chocolate"
- "Hotel Nacional"
- "Hotel Meliá Cohiba"
- "Hotel Habana Libre"
- "Hotel Nacional"
- "Hotel Riviera"
- "Hotel Capri"
- "Hotel Presidente"
- Cubatur ("calle 23/ M")
- Banco Financiero Internacional ("Linea"/ Ecke "Calle 0")
- "Hotel Nacional" (2nd floor/ ask at the reception)
- Galerias de Paseo
- Hospital Clínico Quirúgico "General Calixto García" San Lazaro No. 701, corner/Marques Gonzáles y Belascoain
- "Hospital Hermanos Ameijeiras" (Centro Habana - "Calle Neptuno" corner/ "Calle Marquez Gonzalez")
- Hotel Comodoro""
- Hotel "Habana Libre"
- Hotel "Nacional"
- Restaurant "La Roca"
- Restaurant "Unión Francesa"
- Paladar "Le Chansonnier"
- Paladar "Los Tres Mosqueteros"
- Piano Bar "Delirio Habanaero"
- "Opus Bar"
- "Cabaret Parisien"
- "1830 Club" by the waterfront "Malecón"